For a simple guide to 87, 06 and the new CARE 2015 scheme click HERE

For pre-retirement courses run by TVP Fed click HERE                         

For basic info on how to retire & who to notify click HERE

For FAQs on the 2015 CARE scheme please click here 


PFEW can offer guidance as opposed to advising a member to take a particular course of action.

This means that:

• PFEW can inform the member in general terms about what benefits are provided by a scheme in any given circumstances, and

• PFEW can inform the member by explaining the choices they have in any given situation along with, in general terms, the consequences of deciding to take the various courses of action available.

It is the role of PFEW to provide factual information and support and not advice.

Kier Business  Services, formerly Mouchel, your pension provider has also set up a new website with pension info for the 87, 2006 and 2015 pensions


This is an introduction to police pensions for Police Federation representatives. This page concentrates on the areas that cause the most problems and should not be taken as a complete survey of the regulations as a whole. This information is in general terms and is no substitute for specific advice on an individual case. You may also wish to view our FAQs section in relation to changes to the pension scheme

The Police Pension Scheme

The police pension scheme is a final salary scheme. This means that the pension payable to a retiring officer is calculated not by the financial value of his/her contributions, but by reference to the period of pensionable service and the final pensionable pay.

Reg. G2

In order to be a member of the pension scheme a police officer must make contributions at the rate of 1 pence per week less than 11% of pensionable pay.

Reg. G4

However, a police officer may 'opt out' of the pension scheme by electing not to pay contributions. Once this decision has been made, the police officer can opt back in only of he/she has undergone a medical examination and satisfied the Police Authority that he/she is in good health and generally only up to the age of 45 years. 

Reg. B4

A police officer who has opted out of the Regulations without ever contributing to the scheme will not be entitled to any award apart from an injury award if he/she satisfies the injury award criteria.

Many of the awards depend on 'average pensionable pay'. This is calculated on the last day of police service. It is the best of the last three years annual salary.

Main Awards

There are five main awards under the Police Pensions Regulations.

 Reg. B1 - Ordinary Pension

The Ordinary Pension is a pension to which, in an ideal world, all officers would become entitled. It is payable after 25 years' pensionable service or more where the officer is not retired on medical grounds. The officer receives 1/60th of average pensionable pay for each of the first 20 years' service and 2/60ths for each further year of service thereafter. Because the maximum pension payable under the Regulations is 40/60ths the officer reaches the maximum level after 30 years' service.

The ordinary pension is paid immediately if the officer has completed 30 years' service but, if he/she has between 25 years and 30 years, then it is only paid at age 50 unless the officer becomes permanently disabled before reaching that age.

Reg. B2 - Short Service Award

The short service award is payable to an officer who retires with less than 25 years' service because he/she has reached the age limit for the rank. The officer receives 1/60th of average pensionable pay for each of the first 20 years of service and 2/60ths for any years thereafter. It is paid immediately. 

Reg. B3 - Ill Health Award

The ill health award is payable to an officer who retires on the ground that he/she is permanently disabled from performing ordinary police duties. The pension is calculated the same way as the ordinary pension but is better in three ways:

  • The pension is enhanced in accordance with part III or Schedule B (e.g. for an officer with over 10 years service generally by up to 7/60ths) subject always to the overall maximum of 40/60ths.

  • The pension is payable immediately even if the officer is aged under 50.

  • The pension is index linked (see below)

  • There is no enhancement if you are aged 55 or over.

Reg. B4 - Injury Award

The injury award is payable on its own or in addition to an ordinary pension, a short service award, an ill health award or a deferred pension. It applies where the officer is permanently disabled from ordinary police duties as the result of an injury received in the execution of duty. The injury award consists of a gratuity and a continuing annual payment paid monthly, but it cannot be paid in respect of any period before the individual became permanently disabled. There may be situations in which the officer leaves the police whilst medically fit to continue, but becomes permanently disabled at a later date. The injury award can still be sought even if the officer retired many years earlier, though in these cases causation is often in dispute. 

Reg. B5 - Deferred Pension

The deferred pension is payable to an officer who has served for at least 2 years but for less than 25 years (i.e. an officer who does not qualify for an ordinary pension).

The pension is calculated in the same way as an ordinary pension but it is payable only from age 60 unless the former officer becomes permanently disabled from ordinary police duties at a younger age.

An officer who does not qualify for any of these five awards (generally an officer with less than 2 years' service) will mist likely be entitled to an award by way of repayment of pension contributions during service. 

Part H - Appeals

Part H of the Regulations sets out the procedures for appeals of which there are two kinds:

  • Reg. H2 - a medical appeal to a board of medical referees.

  • Reg. H5 - an appeal to the crown court.

It is worth considering each of the Regulations in Part H if considering appealing. 

Medical Retirement

The scheme for medical retirement under the Regulations and guidance is in broad summary as follows:

  • Where an issue arises as to whether an officer is permanently disables, the Police Authority refer the medical questions (generally via the FMA) to the SMP (selected medical practitioner).

  • The SMP makes a decision, applying the legal tests set out in Regulation A12, and, where the officer is permanently disabled, also prepares a report on his/her capability.

  • If the SMP finds that the officer is not permanently disabled, the officer will not be considered for medical retirement unless he/she successfully appeals to a board of medical referees under Reg. H2.

  •  If the officer is found permanently disabled, the Police Authority will consider all circumstances and decide whether or not to medically retire the officer under Reg. A20.

Reg. A20

Reg. A20 is based on the principles that:

  • The police should not lose on medical grounds officers who are still able to provide useful service.

  • That there should be a fair and clear procedure to deal with any case in which medical retirement is to be considered. 

Discipline and Criminal Convictions

An officer required to resign or dismissed from service because of a discipline conviction (which might include the discipline offence of criminal conduct) will not be entitled to an ill health award because, if even he/she is permanently disabled, he/she will not have retired on that ground. However, so long as the qualifying conditions are satisfied he/she can still have an injury award and if he/she retires with an entitlement to a deferred pension or ordinary pension deferred until age 50, he/she can apply for immediate payment if he/she is permanently disabled. In that case, it does not matter what the cause of the disablement is.

An officer convicted of a serious criminal offence can face the possibility of forfeiture of pension under Reg.K5. This does not apply to disciplinary convictions only and the criminal offence in question must fall into one the of the three following categories:

  • Treason.

  • Official Secrets Act offences leading to at least 10 years in prison.

  • An offence connected with police service which is certified by the Secretary of State either to have been gravely injurious to the interests of the State or liable to lead to serious loss of confidence in the public service.

An appeal against a forfeiture decision lies to the Crown Court under reg. H5 and the individual should seek to make representations to the Secretary of Sate in a case where forfeiture depends upon the Secretary of State certificate. It is arguable that natural justice requires the opportunity to make such representations.


Regulations, Pay & Conditions



Health & Safety

Retirement & Pensions